What we do › How we recycle

Liberty collects, sorts, grades and packs used clothing and footwear for reuse in clothes markets in developing countries and for reprocessing into products including mattresses and insulation. Surplus cotton material is cut and baled into cleaning wipes for local customers including Dublin Bus, motor factors and cleaning companies.

previous next
Liberty New clothing banks and BEWARE not all clothing banks are 100% charity our are.
Some of our transport for servicing charity shops and our network of clothing banks
2. Sorting & Grading. The clothes are sorted and graded by our employees in our recycling facility.
3.  Packing and Shipping. Clothes are baled and shipped for reuse and recycling to Africa, Asia, the UK and Europe
4.  Reuse in Africa. Most clothes are sent to Africa where they are sold as affordable clothing in markets.
5.  Reuse in our Charity Shop. High quality clothes, shoes, handbags, books, bric-a-brac and soft toys are sold in our charity shop on Camden Street, Dublin 2.
6.  Recycle into Cleaning Wipes. Surplus cottons and towels are cut into cleaning wipes for sale to motor factors, cleaning companies and engineering firms.

Why Do we Need Your Clothes?

Liberty Recycling, as a social enterprise, is dependent on a combination of income generated from the sale of used clothing and grant aid from FAS through our Community Employment Scheme.

Liberty Recycling generates 60% of its income through the social enterprise with the remaining 40% coming from (DSP) the Department of Social Protection. Therefore without the supply of unwanted clothing from the public our organization could not generate the income needed to provide rehabilitation and training services to our employees.

As a charity all income generated by the project is reinvested to provide services, create jobs for trainees and to fund the continuing development of the organisation. This in turn results in more rehabilitation places and services and more employment.

Some Facts

  • Liberty Recycling aims to progress people drug free into mainstream opportunities. Over the past 5 years 59 people have moved into employment and another 14 into further education and training
  • In 2010 4 people completed detoxification programmes while 13 people were reducing their methadone to become drug free
  • The project is a registered charity and supported by the Department of Social Protection which sponsors the Community Employment Scheme,Liberty employs over 65 people.
  • Liberty Recycling offers a unique combination of practical work experience, certified training and rehabilitation to those affected by drugs
  • Each year Liberties Participants gain over 100 certified training awards in subjects as diverse as forklift driving, Fetac Computer Applications and Maths, Sage Payroll and ECDL.
  • Liberty Recycling provides nearly €500,000 in income to its charity suppliers such as Saint Vincent de Paul and the Irish Cancer Society each year
  • The project exports used clothing directly to developing countries and also distributes clothing and blankets to local charities
  • Liberty Recycling is the only organisation in the Republic of Ireland that collects and processes used clothing thereby providing valuable local employment
  • Over 2000 tonnes of used clothing are recycled each year. 90% of material is exported. Of this 65% goes for reuse while 30% is recycled

Waste Licences

The Environmental Protection Agency have determined that Waste Authorisation is not required by Liberty Ltd. in accordance with Article 1(6) of the Waste Management Regulations 2007. Waste Facility and Collection Exemptions have been issued to this effect by local authorities in all areas of operation nationally.

Sean's story

I was on crack for a year and finally hit rock bottom. I had a son and finally realised I was getting in too deep and had to stop or I’d miss out on his life as well.

Read more

  • About us

  • Liberty Recycling is a clothes recycling social enterprise and charity that provides people affected by drug and alcohol use with the stability, work experience, skills and confidence needed to move into mainstream employment, training and education, all within a supportive work environment.

    Read more

Our Videos